Sunday, March 8, 2009

Comida Comida

Holy buckets I like food. Good food that is. Not necessarily the food here at Iowa State. I will give it some credit though…I have had some tasty things, but it is still nothing comparable to good ol’ home cooking. I almost picked a college that was ranked second in the nation for its top quality food because I love it so much and I was quite frankly a little nervous about how I would make it at a big college university’s mass produced grub, but I am getting by. I must say that I am incredibly spoiled because my mother is an amazing cook with Italian being her specialty of course. Bolognese, pasta e lenticchie, pasta e piselli, pasta e fagioli, braciole and risotto of all shorts just to name a few of my favorites. I have been so fortunate as to have someone who will always have a warm, well-balanced and scrumptious meal prepared for us by the time dinner comes around. She was even willing to make a random assortment of snacks for when I still lived at home. I miss it incredibly.

I am sad to say that I did not learn the ways of my mother until towards the end of my senior year in high school when I finally realized that I was going to be living on my own and would need to know how to cook. Unfortunately I have not been able to put this little bit of knowledge to use at all considering the lack of a stove, oven or even a sink in my residence hall. But oh how I wish I could cook. Even right now at 10:23 pm.

I went on a little recipe scavenger hunt online last night which was probably a bad idea. I saw numerous recipes that looked delicious and I am dying to try them out…but I can’t. It sucks even more knowing that I can't possibly get anything that i looked at in any of the dining centers or most likely any of the restaurants around Ames although I have not tried them all out yet so I can't say for certain. And what sucks even more than that is the fact that I kept accidentally stumbling upon recipes that dealt with chocolate. I gave up chocolate for lent and I have been craving it for the past couple of weeks. It must be God's way of testing me.

I am looking forward to the day when I finally own my own kitchen, however junky or small it is, just as long as I can prepare a little something to satisfy my hungry and adventurous belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment