Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Vicious Cycle

Today has been an interesting day of sorts. To start things off, I was only able to get about three hours of sleep because I really wanted and need to get a good grade in my anthropology class since there are only two exams all semester so I stayed up until the wee hours studying for that along with another exam for Spanish.

I was hoping to do some studying in my eight o’clock health and nutrition class this morning to refresh my brain a little before my anthropology exam at nine since I do not have to worry about missing anything in that class because nothing ever happens and I do not have to pay attention because she does not give exams. Perfect. When I approached the classroom at 7:56 this morning, I notice the lights were off. I thought, “Well this is odd. I checked my email this morning and it did not say anything about not having class.” I opened the door just to double check and I see that the class is full, so I venture in farther to try and figure out an explanation as to why the lights are off. I see my professor and I immediately understand and then I start to laugh. She is standing at the front of the lecture hall dressed in all black, including a black cape tied around her neck, face painted white, hair slicked straight back and also whitened. Behind her the PowerPoint reads, “Blood, blood pressure, and protecting the blood.” Eerie, dark music starts to play and a light shines on her face casting shadows as if she was about to tell a scary story. She throws her arms up and her cape flies up with them. She starts talking in a crazy accent. I sit down, my mouth agape and in awe with the fact that she actually came to class dressed as a vampire. I could not help but wonder what her husband thinks when he sees his wife dressing up to go to work like that, or seeing the faces of the passerby’s as she drives to work. The thoughts and expressions probably were not much different than the ones in that classroom. I thought maybe the lights would come back on once class actually started, but nope, it was dark all hour which made studying difficult and staying awake difficult. I realized I was not the only one struggling keeping my eyes open, a good quarter of the students were dozing. I had an occasional chuckle when she would slip out of the accent and then realize a few sentences later that she fell out of character and it would sporadically start back into the stereotypical vampire accent overdramatizing it and then it would begin to fizzle out again. Towards the end of class I was beginning to get pre-test jitters. This was a big one and I really did not want to mess it up. I packed up my things early and snuck out a minute early so I could beat the crowd.

On my way over to Kildee I was giving myself mini quizzes recalling what I stayed up late studying for. I am not sure what my anthropology professor was thinking when he decided he wanted to test us over thirteen chapters out of sixteen total in the textbook, which is over 77% of the book and amounts to 330 pages, no study guide, review session or curve. “Just take a stab at it, I am sure you will be fine if you study a little bit every night”…WHAT?! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! He is going to narrow thirteen chapters into fifty questions, how am I supposed to even know what to study? Stressful. What are we going to even talk about for the second half of the semester? The TA’s hand start handing out the exams five minutes early and I take a deep breath, pull out a fresh mechanical pencil and begin. I immediately start panicking. Of course I would not study the stuff that would actually end up on the test, so I take an educated guess as they always say and start filling in the bubbles praying that I picked the “best” answer. But only twenty-five out of the fifty are multiple choice. Now I have to fill in the blank for thirteen chapters of vocabulary without a word bank. Ugh. Then there are short answer questions regarding a few anthropological sites out of the twenty we studies and we have to tell why they are important to anthropology’s research. Eek! Then we have to fill in a chart listing off all of the species in a certain category of monkeys and where each of them live in the world. Shoot me. I could have slept three extra hours and my grade would probably not be any different. Frustration. So I treated myself to a latte.

No comments:

Post a Comment