Sunday, April 26, 2009

Secret Treasure

It has been one of my dreams to accidentally find a secret box containing something that was hidden in a secret spot of sorts. What started this somewhat strange fascination of mine was the movie Amelie that I watched when I was twelve years old. First off, it was a bad choice of a movie for a twelve year old to watch, let alone one to watch with the whole family. I would not recommend it. Besides the point, Amelie is in the bathroom of her apartment when she hears the shocking news that Princess Diana was killed in a car accident. Out of her horror, Amelie drops her perfume bottle which in turn knocks loose a tile in her bathroom under the sink. She bends over to clean up the mess and notices that the tile was loose and reaches her hand into the opening to pull out a small tin. She opens it to find the memorabilia of a young boy who lived in her apartment years earlier. She decides that she wants to track down the owner of the box and return it to him. How cool would that be?!?!?

If I were to ever find a secret treasure like that, I would really want to keep this little treasure, but I think in the end, the curiosity of who the owner is would get the best of me and I would want to know who this person is and the reason they put the specific things in their container. Why those items? What sentimental value did they have for them when they originally picked them? What does it mean to them now?

As sad as it is, I have come to realize that the chances of me ever coming across a secret crevice that holds the burial place for someone’s memorabilia are incredibly slim. Maybe if I tap all of the tiles in every bathroom attempting to find a hollow one or stick my hand into every hole I find in a tree or dig up my entire backyard will I come across one. Sadly, it will most likely always be in vain.

Although I most likely will never find one, I have highly considered making one and leaving it behind somewhere for someone else to find many years down the road. Maybe they will come looking for me, maybe they will not, but at least someone else will get to live out my little dream...and that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment