Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Where Has All of the Time Gone?

I can barely believe it…there are only twelve days. I am going to be a freshman here at Iowa State University for twelve more days, at the very most. Where in the world did all the time go?!?! I still remember the summer before going away to college like it was last week. I was having pre-college homesickness. I was so scared to leave the comforts of home: no more homemade meals, no more free laundry, no more car, no more bed on the ground, no more Italian cappuccinos. I was not sure what I was getting myself into.

I had wanted to move out and do my own thing all year long, and now that it was finally time to go, I was not ready. I felt like a bride before her wedding, always having nightmarish dreams about being that freshman with the map on campus at the end of the year, or having the hellish roommate, or accidentally shrinking all of my clothes in the laundry. I must admit that I cried profusely the night before I left. Although I would be leaving all of the comforts of home, I think the real reason was because I was leaving my boyfriend at the time behind and I was scared of what was going to happen to us once I left. Cheesy, I know, but it is the truth.

I look back at that time and I cannot help but laugh at the fact that I was so scared of coming here because I see that I had nothing to worry about. I was fortunate enough to know enough people who had gone here previous year(s) to show me around campus or other freshman who were willing to go around with me to search out where all of my classes were for the semester, my roommate is now one of my best friends, and after completing my first load of laundry in an unfamiliar place I was pleased to see that nothing shrunk.

I am really not ready to go back home for the summer. All of my friends are here now. It is going to be so strange not waking up to them and going to sleep to them, eating homemade meals with my family again, and fewer spontaneous late night activities. I am undeniably going to miss them all. I know I am blessed to have been surrounded with such marvelous people, but I want to be selfish and keep them all with me all of the time instead of them going back to their respective homes all over the world.

I have decided that three months is too long being apart. I would much rather be with my buddies than work a nine to five job filing silly papers. So what about the money, I am sure that I would make do, somehow. I have come to terms that this is an unrealistic plan if I hope to live in my house this summer.

Even though this year has not officially been completed, I am already looking forward to the beginning of next year. There are so many new opportunities, circumstances and challenges to face and look forward to.

Although my high school romance ended the first month of being away at college, it has brought only better things. Not only has it allowed for a year of personal growth, new friendships and the broadening of my taste buds, but I have in turn found myself a fabulous guy that any girl would dream of dating. But now instead of getting a fresh Italian cappuccino made especially for me every morning, I have someone special who will drink them with me for now.
Life is good.

So no more minutes. Let us count moments—moments that wedge themselves between days and weeks and rainfalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment