Sunday, February 22, 2009

City Life

Big cities intrigue me. There is so much to do and see. Life would never get old. I used to live in or extremely close to big cities such as Naples, Italy (a little over three million people), a suburb of Chicago called Wheaton (around 55,000 with Chicago bordering three million) and then a suburb of Denver called Littleton (close to 41,000 and Denver having approximately 555,000). Then I was moved to Muscatine, Iowa breaking the barriers at a whopping 22,000 people. That just so happens to be the place where I spent most of my life. *sigh*

I have always loved going to visit my family because they live near the big cities and we never run out of activities and there is always something new to see and experience whether that be a neat little antique store tucked away in a building or a homeless man singing and playing his accordion at the corner of a busy intersection. But people-watching is by far my favorite thing to do in the city. Just seeing the variety of people that fill the city and listening to all of the different languages that emerge is almost as good as eating carrot cake. If something is close to beating carrot cake’s greatness, it has to be something pretty spectacular. That is how much I love the city.

The hum of constant cars and the rumbling of trains passing by beings happiness to my heart. The busy traffic does not bother me. It kind of brings a little rush when you are trying to figure your way through downtown while weaving in and out of cars. I find it a stress reliever to lay on your horn for a good long minute at the stopped traffic ahead of you even though you know it will not do anything to help hurry things up. Oh the little joys of living in the big city, yet I chose to come to Iowa State. Sometimes I do not understand myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment