Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fragility

Today I have a whole new appreciation for life. In my 8 o’clock health and nutrition class towards the end of our time I heard gasps from multiple people and my professor yell, “Someone call 911!” A girl at the front of the class had passed out in her seat and was bright red. A guy from a few rows back announced he was a medic and ran up to her along with another man. The class fell silent with the occasional concerned whisper as they slowly brought her to the floor. At this point she was beginning to turn blue. A guy in the back of the large lecture hall stood up with his phone in hand and asked if she was breathing. Shortly after the man helping her replied that she was not. The guy on the phone described what was going on to the best of his ability and gave them the address. I could not see what was going on from the back and it only made me more nervous. What was going on? Was she having a seizure? What are the two men doing to help? When is the ambulance going to get here?! Finally, about five minutes after someone called 911 a woman arrived with a bag in hand and approached the girl lying in front for the whole class to see. Shortly after she arrived our professor dismissed the class. People slowly filtered out of the classroom in silence while trying to catch a glimpse as to what was happening down in front. As soon as we left the classroom I saw the ambulance pull up and people rush inside with a stretcher.

Since class was dismissed about ten minutes early I stayed inside LeBaron for a while and talked with a friend of mine. While we were waiting for the time to pass, I overheard multiple conversations of passersby talking about what might have happened to the girl or people inquiring about the ambulance outside. No one seemed to fully know what was going on and it was killing me that I did not know the real story. No better way to start a rumor. I eventually left and on my way to Kildee I was passing by McKay and noticed that the fire alarm had gone off. I wondered what was going on inside. Was someone pulling a prank or was it real? Nobody knows. What a way to start out a Monday morning.

It got me thinking, we are so unbelievably fragile. Life can simply vanish in a matter of seconds. We have all heard that we take life for granted, but I do not think you can really grasp it until you encounter a near death experience. It may make you reflect back on all of the great experiences you have had so far, maybe some of the few not so good that you realize are tying you down and make you release them, it may mean to make things right with those you have wronged, it may mean you call that special someone and tell them you love them because you do not know if you will have another opportunity, but for me, I thank God for this life that he has given me. I know my days on this earth are numbered and so I will use them for the One who gives me life and breath and everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment