Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tattoo or No Tattoo?

Tattoos are ridiculous inventions if you think about it. Who would have thought about stabbing your skin with a little needle repetitively and then putting ink in that wound to create a design? I mean…what?! They can have a tendency to be pretty neat pieces of art if done right, but if not, then you have a piece of tacky “art” stuck in your body to carry around with you for the rest of your life. Yes, that means your tattoo of a flower will begin to wilt along with your skin. That is the reason I hesitate in getting one. I have seen far too many ugly tattoos, more than the occasional tasteful ones to risk having someone possibly screwing up on mine. There is also the fear of not liking the results after it is complete. There may be some sort of medical procedure to have it removed, but not only is it an incredibly painful and expensive process, it still does not eliminate the tattoo entirely. I hate needles to begin with, but the thought of one making thousands of little holes in my skin is terrifying! Although somehow I find this small bit of me that still wants one even in knowing this.

If I were to actually follow through and get one, I would not necessarily want it in a place visible for the whole world to see. I know they have the potential to hold you back in the workplace and I would not want to risk something as big as that for something as small as a tattoo. It would be in a place that only I could see and one day my husband. No tramp stamps please and none on my foot (the new and improved tramp stamp).

As far as what I would get, I have spent many hours contemplating different possibilities, but I have yet to come up with one that I love enough to keep with me forever. It needs to be something that means a lot to me and has some sort of significance behind it. Sure, maybe someone loves Mickey Mouse so much they want to put it on their skin to showcase that, but I mean something deeper, something that describes me but that cannot be determined or interpreted by just looking at it. You would have to ask me to understand the whole story behind it. I would like to go with someone who means a lot to me and get the same tattoo as a reminder of the other. My sister is the person I have in mind, but I highly doubt she will fall for it, but I have not asked her yet, so I might be surprised.

It is going take quite a few more hours of pondering the numerous possibilities of getting a tattoo before I will ever go through with this proposal, but something tells me that the tinge of unruliness in me will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment