Sunday, February 8, 2009

One Day

I love coffee. I love free-reading. I love art. So what better way to display all three of my passions than to open my very own coffee shop. It will not be just a coffee shop but part bookstore and partly a place to display and purchase people’s art. I am well aware that often times small, personal businesses get shut down, but I do not mind the risk. I find it kind of exhilarating. I cannot say that I have it all planned out because I definitely do not, but it is a work in progress. I have mentioned this idea to numerous friends and surprisingly they all have considered doing the same or going into a particular area of work that I would need in order to make my business run smoothly. Coincidence? I think not.

When I see something like a piece of art that catches my eye or an interesting coffee mug, I think about how perfectly it would fit in my future shop. I love brewing potential ideas in my head about the future. As much as I look forward to the thought of opening up my own place, I know it will be a lot of work and will most likely tie me down, and I am not sure how fond I am of that idea. I like to have the option to be free and roam when and where I please. I understand that the chances of that happening are going to be slim to none when I find a job, but it is still nice to dream right? Hopefully I will get to a stage in my life where I find a job that I love so much I would not even want to leave. That will be the day.

As much as I hope I find a career that I love, I do not want it to define who I am. Sure, let it be a part of me, but not all of me, not a chance.

The thought of work always leads me back to a book I read in my high school English class one year, The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail and the way that Henry David Thoreau so eloquently looks at the subject...
“Retirement? What an absurd idea! Why spend the best part of your life earning
money so that you can enjoy a questionable liberty during the least valuable
part of it? Why work like a dog so you can pant for a moment or two before
you die?”

No comments:

Post a Comment