Sunday, February 8, 2009

Quirky

One of my favorite parts about getting to know someone is finding out some of their talents. I tend to have a pretty good idea about what someone might be good at, but all it really is, is an educated guess. I love it when people entirely catch me off guard and posses completely out of the blue talents or pastimes like creating latte art or making paper cranes the size of my pinky nail. I kind of enjoy not being right. People of this sort intrigue me.

A good friend of mine who I met at the beginning of this year is a prime example. I was told by someone I had just recently met that we were going to be “best friends” before I even met him. They must have known that I enjoy this breed of people. I still wonder today what gave it away.

I pawned him off as being someone who would be musically inclined, but what I quickly found out once getting to know him was that he has never actually played a musical instrument. He has good taste in music and a lot of it, but has never really played an instrument. It turns out that he is an outdoorsman who backpacked out to Alaska this past summer, an incredible photographer with all of the gadgets and doodads to prove it, an abnormally incredible yoyoer and an avid collector of unusual shoes. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.

I always try to pick up a few talents and pastimes that could potentially be out of the norm and that might catch someone off guard if they were to ever find that out about me, but I have not come across any that I have been particularly fond of and kept up. Plus I am not sure if anyone else would really appreciate the strange talents the way that I do. But I keep searching. Eventually I will discover one, I have no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment