Friday, January 30, 2009

The Beautiful Tool of Language

After leaving class today, I have had some time to meditate on what was communicated about language. I do think that being multilingual is a huge advantage in this day and age and I would assume that many, if not most people do, especially companies who do business overseas. It seems to be such a key resource to have and beneficial not only in business, but potentially in everyday life or for vacation.

Considering the fact that my grandparents, my parents, my sister and I were raised in Italy, its culture has always been one of great importance to us. Every time our family gets together, it is inevitable that some Italian phrase or conversation will arise. Even more so now that my Italian cousin is living with my grandparents so he can attend a University in Chicago.

It pains me to say that I have forgotten most of my Italian and usually find myself lost in these conversations. Why did I have to be such a stubborn child? My parents were always trying to encourage me to speak in Italian with them at home once we moved to Illinois, but I was always afraid that one of my friends would show up at the door and hear me talking in a language they did not understand and be weirded out by what they heard. I was more caught up in what people thought of me at the time than what would be the best thing for me in my future years. That is probably one of my only regrets in life.

Speaking a different language is a beautiful thing in my eyes. I tend to find that English is such an ugly and absurd language at times and will resort to using an occasional word in Italian, Spanish or of my own creation. Sometimes other languages simply have a better way of saying things or certain phrases that cannot be expressed in English.

Not only is it unbelievably beneficial and beautiful, but it gives you a completely different outlook on the world. You really have the best of both worlds, as Miley Cirus would say. You are more cultured and are more appreciative and have a larger understanding of the world around you that most people do not possess. If you can sit down and take the time, patience, practice and the occasional moments of humility that it takes to learn a language (or more!) then I give you two thumbs up, and if I could give you more I would.

I hope to learn all of the “love languages” by the time I die. It is a bit of a lofty goal, but so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment