Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What Lurks Beneath




This is purely the reason I am afraid to go into the ocean. I love swimming and the water, but something about the unknown, deep dark waters of the world makes me uneasy. Not being able to see or control what is underneath me while in the water is one of my greatest fears. Even when I went on a cruise and saw some of the most beautiful and clear waters of the Caribbean, I still had a hard time swimming out past where I could no longer touch the sandy bottom. There is almost something about being able to see what is swimming around you that still manages to give me the heebee jeebees. So really, there is no winning situation for me…except for perhaps a swimming pool. *sigh*

I love to travel, but I am sad to say the beach is not my favorite vacation spot. I love the idea of it, but I cannot enjoy the beauty to its entirety if I am afraid of what is lurking beneath the water. Maybe that is why our family vacations do not typically consist of going to the shores of Aruba or parasailing in Bermuda. Yes, it is surely beautiful, but I have this knack for breaking out of the norm and the urge to go somewhere unusual, to do something that is outside of the stereotypical vacation. I just do not see the fun of lying on the beach all day. Sure you may not get the time to just sit around and relax very often, but you are on vacation! Go do something you have never done before! Fill your time with adventures. You do not get to do that very often either. You will have far more stories to tell and pictures to show if you go out and put your time and money to good use. I promise you. Take pleasure in the time you have been given here on this planet. You do not have much left, so take full advantage of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment