Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Four Little Letters That Changed My Life

It was towards the end of our Christmas dinner and we were eating our warm, homemade pecan pie and sipping away on our small glasses of espresso when a topic arose that would change my life. Not the most profound or inspiring thing to most, but for me, it was something that was far greater than any of the presents that I received that day. The Myers-Briggs Personality Test. It is so simple and yet I have been completely enthralled by it. Everyone at the table had already taken this test and were talking about it amongst themselves, but there was no way I could participate in the conversation and that frustrated me and intrigued me all at the same time. I had to know what my four letter combination this test would find in me.

Immediately after dinner, I scurried upstairs to the computer room and found the test online. It was a simple seventy two question test that would somehow tell me who I was. I have always had this fascination with tests, quizzes or surveys that reveal something about a person’s moral fiber. I was a little skeptical at first, but I knew that if my entire family was raving about it downstairs that it had to be something pretty spectacular. After about fifteen minutes of carefully contemplating the questions and making sure I answered them true to me, I nervously hit the “Score It!” button somewhat anxious about what it would tell me. Low and behold, I am an ENFP. Extraverted, Intuitive, Feeling, and Perceiving. The only thing I knew this meant was that I was like my dad. That did not scare me as much as you may think. I really look up to my dad and was pleased to know that I shared some of the same characteristics as him. I could not just stop there, I had this hunger to know more than that, to get to a deeper level and find out what this test really had to say about me.

I googled my outcome and clicked on the first result that came up. As I began reading, my mouth dropped farther the more I read. I was so astounded by how true to me it was. It nailed me to a T. I finally made sense to me. Who would have known that four little letters could tell you so much about yourself. After I finished reading that website, I could not help but go to another one and read it in a new way. I had to make sure that the first one was not just a spoof. The second one was even truer. I could not bear to keep this exciting news to myself. I had to share it with all of my friends.

Every time I would spend time with a new friend, I would have them take this test. I was curious to know what their four letters had to say about them. It has a way of explaining them in a way you could never come up with on your own and clarifies why they might be the way they are or why they might do things a certain way and because of that I was able to better understand them. By reading descriptions of themselves, my friends became enchanted by how eerily it pinpointed their personalities and they had to tell THEIR friends. They are simply paying it forward.

So if you want to know a little more about yourself on a more personal level, go to
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp. I doubt you will regret it. But I warn you, it is surely addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment