Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Complexities of Music

While I was in the backseat of my friend's car on the way to have lunch at Applebee’s, I realized how much I dislike country music. I never have, but for some reason today it seemed extra ugly to me. I was wondering as the music blared in my ear, how this stuff could really be pleasing to someone's ear. Its obnoxious lyrics about drinkin' and lovin' and fightin' and ridin' are definitely not for me. Where did the art of good lyrics go? Really, where did it?

As I was contemplating all of this, it struck me as fascinating how we can all have completely different tastes in music and how we can all be so strongly opinionated about what we like and dislike in terms of music. I admit I definitely have created my own thoughts on music and I will be flat out and say I really do not care for all of country and most of rap. Most everything else I can at least put up with or tolerate. But how is it that everyone’s musical taste can vary so much? This leads me to think that music is really one of the only things that every single person can relate to in some way shape or form? I have never heard of anyone who has something against music or who does not enjoy listening to it from time to time. It is not even a necessity in life, although some people may argue likewise.

I am being honest when I say that I am not sure what I would do if I could not listen to music. There are so many areas of my life that music absorbs. My free time usually involves looking up new bands and artists or lyrics of songs I like, my school work can often be found on the topic (like this blog post for example) and the men I tend to be drawn to are musically inclined. Sadly, many people will often look down on people for liking a certain genre of music, which frankly I think is just dim-witted. Music tends to be a way of self expression, and if you criticize their music taste, you will most likely be criticizing their character. That might explain why people can get so uptight when it comes to revealing their musical tastes to someone. It can expose a lot about who that person is. So if you ever want to get to know someone on a different level, be sure to ask them what sort of music they are into.

No comments:

Post a Comment