Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Basics of Me

All of my life I have been in a constant search of self. Who really am I? What really sparks my interest? What is unique about me? I cannot say that I have found absolute answers to these questions that have not been in a constant state of change, but there is one thing in my life has been never changing, that is a large part of what I stand for, something I do find a passion in, and that is my faith.

I was born and raised in Naples, Italy due to the fact that my parents were missionaries there for 12 years. I have been exposed to religion for as long as I can remember, but my parents were never pushy, it was something of my own mind and a decision I made on my own time. Even though I was only five years old, I made a choice to follow Jesus and that has made all the difference. My parents told me they noticed a difference in the way I acted and treated the people closest to me. Something inside of me changed. It has transformed me into an overall more optimistic and joyful person.

A new outlook on life has allowed me to see and undergo many remarkable experiences I would not have been able to otherwise. It brought me back to my birthplace of Naples to help at a festival that the church my father worked with put on and to the slums of Guatemala on three mission trips. It has put in me a love for people, traveling and language.

There have been many bumps in the road and there have been moments in my past that I am not particularly proud of, but my faith has kept me in line. I look to make it the basis of all of my decisions, however big or small, and therefore it is the foundation of who I am. Even though I fall sometimes, I have always been able to turn to the one who is forever faithful and full of love and grace. I have never been sorry I knocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment